Thursday, March 26, 2015

Spring Butterflies


I stopped to see the spring butterfly exhibit at the Desert Botanical Garden late yesterday afternoon.  (It's best to go after 2:30 when all the bus loads school kids have departed.)  I liked this shot looking right into the eyes of this Julia butterfly.


In fact, I cropped the photo way down just to see how good those eyes look.  Not bad for hand held.  


I thought this one was especially pretty.  It's called a White Peacock.  I like pale turquoise/green tones in the wing.  

18 comments:

Halcyon said...

Amazing shots. Butterflies are typically so hard to capture, but these are really crisp!

Karl said...

Beautiful macros with a wonderful light, and without a tripod !

Mersad said...

Truly gorgeous sights.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, beautiful shots!

Andy said...

Super photos!

Stefan Jansson said...

You did a good job with the photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

Beautiful butterflies and GREAT advice to go there after the busloads have gone home!

Birdman said...

Sure. Rub it in. Very nice and WARM.

Steve Reed said...

Nice! I think we have those white peacock butterflies in Florida. I'm sure I've seen them before.

Judy said...

These are all great shots! Getting a good hand held close up is getting harder for me but I hate dragging a tripod along all the time.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

That late afternoon light looks wonderful Sharon, the butterflies are aglow!

William Kendall said...

The two shots give it a rather alien look when it's looking at you!

Kathy said...

That's such a wonderful exhibit. Great shots.

RedPat said...

They are like little pieces of magic! Great shots, Sharon!

cieldequimper said...

Gorgeous shots. They never stay still enough for me!

Lois said...

Love the close ups! Such beautiful creatures.

Bob Crowe said...

You make me remember that we were there just a year ago. Beautifully executed.

Randy said...

I love how you captured the light in that first shot.