Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ride the Grid


Phoenix has a new bike ride share program with 500 bikes located in 50 locations.  This system works with a mobile application.  You use the app to reserve a bike, enter the PIN you are given to unlock the bike and away you go.  You can even stop somewhere to shop or have a meal by placing the bike in Hold status and locking it to any bike rack.  When you are finished, return it to any of the GRID bike racks to lock it in place.  The fares are $5.00 per hour or you have the option to subscribe for $30 per month or $79 per year (students, $59 per year).


You can tell from the top photo that the service has already caught on.  Many of the bikes in that rack were in use when I took the photo.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea and a great way to get around!

Steve Reed said...

We have these in London but I have never used them. A great idea for any city!

Mersad said...

This is a really great idea, I have also seen here in Europe.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Aimeecakes said...

What a fantastic idea! I haven't seen it before - very health and environmentally friendly

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's such a good idea Sharon, will be interesting to see how successful it is long term.

Judy said...

It seems like it would be a good idea but knowing what traffic is like in Phoenix, I wouldn't want to ride one on the busy streets.

EG CameraGirl said...

Fabulous idea, especially for a city that has mostly warm, dry weather.

RedPat said...

We have had the same thing here for the last few years and it seems to be very popular. I think they are expanding the number of bikes this year.

William Kendall said...

There is a similar program here that runs from spring through the fall.

Thérèse said...

Such a great idea.
We have this type of service in most of larger cities here. I tried them in Paris: they are pretty heavy to handle but it's fun and it's easier to find a parking place with a bike than with a car...
:-)
I like the color too.

cieldequimper said...

They look so much better than the Parisian Vélibs!

Lowell said...

I think these are wonderful programs in all their versions. Glad to know Phoenix is involved. Ocala is not. Argh!

Lois said...

The yearly subscription sounds like the best deal. I like that bright green color!

Catalyst said...

I had read of this in other cities but didn't know Phoenix had joined the crowd. It IS a great idea.

Randy said...

Nice to see they have these now.

Halcyon said...

I like the bright color! I am feeling happy just looking at this bike.

Kathy said...

This is such a cool idea!

Jack said...

Phoenix is so progressive. I have not seen any here in SWFL, but I visited Columbus, Ohio, in December and saw bicycle and smart car pick-up stations everywhere. They have gotten into the sharing economy big time.