Sunday, September 7, 2014

Taking in some art


I haven't been to a First Friday Art Event all summer long so when a friend called and asked if I wanted to go, I jumped at the chance.  Our first stop was Pela Gallery for a new show opening that night called "Evidence of Life".  What a great name for these out-of-this-world art pieces.  The paintings are by Jason Hugger who paints "dreamlike strucures against realistic desertscapes".  He says he was inspired by visits to the Middle East.
In the center of the photo above you will see a round, lighted sculpture created by Thad Trubakoff (Thad is the tall guy in front of the piece).  It's described as a "giant pinwheel that leaps to life activated by the viewers presence before it".  And, it really did leap to life with a whooshing sound and a some spinning action.  I loved it!
There was another sculptor present too, his name was Brad Konick.  The two pieces on the wall to the left were by him.  I didn't get a shot of one of his great free standing pieces but if you click on the link above you can see a photo of it there.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  I'm back in Treviso Italy again, this time with a sculpture that has an amusing history.

14 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I'm not too sure about the sculptures on the wall but the rest does look interesting and meeting the artist must have been cool!

Birdman said...

And I bet these galleries offered a pleasant respite from the heated day as well as pleasing to the eye..

Birdman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Judging from the painting on the right he seems to have also been inspired by Dali. Cool shot, Sharon.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's so much fun visiting art exhibitions, you just never know what you will find :) How very cool to meet the artists Sharon.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

The cooler weather should bring out more crowds for First Fridays in downtown Phoenix.

RedPat said...

I wish we had First Friday events here. I do like that painting, Sharon!

glenda said...

Great way to spend an evening! The one on the wall to the right is quite interesting.

William Kendall said...

The painting on the right interests me.

Jack said...

I always love art events like this. Your photo makes me feel that I am there.

Randy said...

Oh how I miss First Fridays.

Anonymous said...

Looks like there is a very in depth discussion taking place here!

Kate said...

The attire of the patrons is a kind-of art show in itself!

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.