Monday, September 8, 2014

Antonio Berni


Yesterday I told you about my First Friday outing and I talked about the first stop on the tour.  Today I'll talk about our last stop.  It was the Phoenix Art Museum to see a special show about artist Antonio Berni.  There was no photography allowed at this show so borrowed a photo from the internet (Huffington Post) so you see an example of the sheer size of the pieces in this show.  Some were even bigger than those shown above.  Many of them were woodcuts and the wood piece was displayed right next the print made by the cut.  I don't think I had ever seen woodcuts so large.  The rest of the wall pieces were collages made up of all sorts of found objects, auto parts, tin cans, utensils, fabric, doll's hair, scrap metal and much more.


There were also whimsical sculptures like the one above.  (This photo borrowed from the Phoenix Art Museum)

All of the sculptures and art works were related in theme to a story he was telling about two children as they grew into adults.  The sculpture above represents a nightmare had by "Ramona", one of the subjects of his story.

The work was simply amazing.  I'm so glad I got to see it.

If you want to read more about this artist and the show at the Phoenix Art Museum, you can see it here.

16 comments:

Halcyon said...

I love this gallery space! Looks like an interesting exhibit.

Steve Reed said...

Looks like a great way to spend an afternoon! I like the vibrant colors.

Kate said...

Communities give us such a great gift with art museums, and I do appreciate them! This looks like a marvelous exhibit.

Karl said...

The Phoenix Art Museum looks really great, Sharon, though the sculpture with the crocodile is a bit scary.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The art gallery itself is a wonderful space Sharon, perfect for those impressively sized art works.. The crocodile piece is extraordinary :)

Lois said...

Looks like a wonderful gallery and I know I would enjoy this show. Too bad about not being able to take pictures though!

RedPat said...

That looks like it was a fun show, Sharon!

Birdman said...

I'd call it "Push-Up".

cieldequimper said...

Now I'm going to dream of being of being swallowed by an alligator!

William Kendall said...

The sculpture rates as peculiar, Sharon!

Judy said...

Oh my! That is an unusual piece of artwork.

Randy said...

Love the artwork in the first shot.

Jack said...

I would have loved being there!

The news reports from Phoenix are scary. I hope that the floods aren't affecting you. No rain then too much rain. Sheesh!!

Catalyst said...

These art shows are one of things I regret about leaving Phoenix. BUT I did view a recent excellent show at the Phippen of paintings and sculptures honoring "the horse".

Anonymous said...

And a great looking space to display them all too!

Unknown said...

That piece is so funny! Hate it when photos are not allowed.