Friday, February 15, 2013

Big Box


Big box building, not a big box store.  Here is another building featured in the book I have called "Mid-Century Marvels".  This one dates back to 1967 and it was designed by Al Beadle.  I've featured other Al Beadle buildings before and you can read a little about this interesting character here.  This building doesn't have a fancy name, it's just called the 5th Avenue Medical Building.  Other architects of the era built similar cube shaped buildings during this period and the Hungarian professor of architecture, Erno Rubik created his famous Rubik's cube as a functional teaching tool to help his design students understand three-dimensional objects.

16 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I think this building needs other buildings around it to complement its style. One building like this standing along looks somewhat start and cold, in my view.

Andy said...

Too bad they didn't add colour to give that Rubik's cube look.

Hilda said...

Andy has a great idea there! :)

We've many buildings that look like siblings to this one, even within our own campus. Can't say I'm crazy about them.

Birdman said...

Those cubes have always baffled me. This one I might be able to solve... not in 10 seconds though.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

interesting

Randy said...

I always loved the design of this building.

Lowell said...

Looks familiar but I've never seen it before. Must have seen other similar buildings from the 60s. Has nice, clean lines and is rather attractive for that.

Judy said...

This is one of those styles that is eye catching and at the same time kind of plain. I see there is parking underneath which is nice in the summer heat.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm not sure why but I rather like it Sharon, it is what it is, compact and functional, there's no pretension here! Fun reference to the Rubik's cube!

Anonymous said...

Big Box is very a very apt name!

quilteddogs said...

I wonder how much light comes in through those windows.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I learned about Beadle Balls lighting ...I think this young man design a high rise in Louisville, KY. i will see you soon!!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Jack said...

A big box it is indeed. This is not my favorite era, but this building is surprisingly appealing to me.

Unknown said...

It really stands out because there are no buildings next to it. Just great!

RedPat said...

A classic of the era for sure.

Kate said...

I hope all those slots contain some window glass.