Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Beauty of Spring

Yesterday, Brattcat asked if the tulip I pictured was in my garden. It wasn’t. It is in the garden of a dear friend but, the question made me think I should picture something that is in my garden. The problem is, I have no idea what kind of flower this is.


A couple of years ago, my wonderful gardening neighbors gave me several pots to use to create an herb garden in my back yard. Neither of us knew that hidden deep in one of those pots were a couple of long forgotten bulbs that took hold and started to bloom when they got regular water. The first time they sprouted, it was nearly summer and quite warm so all I got was leaves. This year they sprouted early and produced several gorgeous blooms that seem to unwind on a daily basis.


I took the top photo yesterday morning.
The second photo was taken last weekend when it just started to bloom. You can see how the little flowers seem to unwind from the bud as they open.
For the third photo, I backed up a little so you could see several of the blooms.
If anyone knows what flower this is, please let me know.

11 comments:

Kathy said...

Agapanthus.

brattcat said...

Thank you for bringing us into your garden, Sharon. If these beauties are any indication of what you have growing there I will look forward to seeing more images from your garden over the coming months.

Kathryn said...

Agapanthus aka "Lily of the Nile" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agapanthus

Tracy said...

Very lovely, Sharon. And purple! Magpie likes purple. :-)

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I think I may be able to remember Lily of the Nile. Agapanthus wold be more of a shallenge.

glenda said...

These are lovely, I love this time of year in Phoenix.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

great story and what a nice surprise to see. very pretty

Lowell said...

It looks like some folks are pretty sure what this is...but whatever, it is certainly beautiful and something in your garden to treasure!

Judy said...

Pretty and unusual.

Magpie said...

I didn't recognize agapanthus, but Lily of the Nile hit the mark!! I had one of these last year, but didn't realize it came from a bulb and disposed of it when it went by. Next time I'll know!! I do love the color!

Unknown said...

These are pretty common here but haven't started blooming yet.