Monday, February 15, 2010

Nesting

One of the reasons that I love the Desert Botanical Garden so much is that you never know what you might see on any given visit. On Saturday I was treated to a rare sight indeed. This tiny little hummingbird sitting on its nest. One of the garden volunteers saw me carefully taking photos and told me that this was a Anna's Hummingbird and that there are two eggs in the nest and they are the size of small jelly beans.

I feel so privileged to have seen such a remarkable sight.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Yes, indeed, a rare find. I have only seen one hummingbird nest in my life.

Magpie said...

Very nice shot! I love humming birds and to see one actually on it's nest - wonderful!

brattcat said...

This is a little miracle of a shot. Her nest looks like a delicate material used in designer dresses.

Janet said...

Wow! That is a super shot.

Judy said...

You have to have a good eye to see one of these little nests. Great find.

Flutterby said...

Beautiful, thank you for sharing such a wonderful sight.

Kate said...

Excellent shot!!

Unknown said...

This is SO fantastic, Sharon! Absolutely cute!