Friday, October 2, 2009

Nothing left but the rubble

A little over a year ago, on August 22, 2008 to be exact, I published this photo of a building in the process of being torn down. Shortly after the photo from last year was taken, the building was stripped of its glass and the steel frame sat exposed for close to a year. In fact, people in the neighborhood started to ask when that skeleton of a building was going be torn down.

Well on Sunday morning, I was sitting at my desk working on my daily photo posts for the coming week when I heard a distant explosion. In the few seconds it took for my mind to say “what was that” and to attempt to determine what the sound could have been, I heard a loud and long crash that seemed to reverberate for almost a whole minute. It was loud enough to make me go out to my backyard to make sure my neighbors houses were all still standing. That’s when I saw the helicopters hovering in the direction of this building and I guessed that they might have taken it down that morning.

I gathered my camera and got in the car to drive in that direction and sure enough, at the point where I would normally have seen the boney top of the building I saw nothing but sky. I arrived in time to see the demolition crew posing for the photo shoot you see above.

I spoke to one of the workmen who was quite proud that the implosion went exactly as planned with no problems at all. Now, that old skyscrapter is just a pile of twisted metal and broken concrete.

5 comments:

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

this would have been great to see. must have been an awesome implosion

Judy said...

My hubby spent a lot of time inside that building when he was working. It will seem strange to see it gone. The crew does look proud of the job they did bringing the building down.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Let's hope that in the future there is another crew or workers equally proud of what has replaced what is now a vacant lot in the heart of the city.

Mo said...

Hope something wonderful will take its place

Kcalpesh said...

Demolished? Wonder if one could actually see the whole process!