Thursday, May 28, 2009

Saguaro Cactus in full bloom

On May 2nd I posted my attempt to get a photo of a saguaro cactus bloom. They are so difficult to capture because they are so tall. Well, while I was stopped at the side of the road over the weekend I spotted a saguaro cactus that had one arm that was pointed downward instead of the usual up-swing. And, that arm of the cactus was full of blooms and buds. I walked over to it to get the above close up shot.

I don't know the name of those tiny little winged bugs that are busy crawling all over the flower. I do know one thing for certain, they bite and the bites itch! The things we bloggers will do to get a good photo are endless. Now if I could just get the itching to stop.



The small photo shows more of the cactus arm that is pointing down toward the ground.

7 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Sharon,
If the bugs on the Saguaro flower causing an itch, you can easily scratch by rubbing up against the Saguaro. I guarantee you will shortly no longer be bothered by the itch.

Thank you for your sacrifice to get the rare treat of a close up view of the center of a Saguaro bloom.

I moved to Arizona at Memorial Day, 1982. I can still remember the Saguaro cacti in bloom as we drove across the desert from New Mexico to Tucson and then Phoenix. My older son, who was not quite 3, was enchanted by the cacti and would point out each Saguaro with arms extending upward by saying "That guy's up." I don't remember him saying "That guy's down."

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

thanks for the warning about the flying bugs. In two weeks I am going to Tucson on the saguaro Fruit harvesting trip with the Tohono O'Odham guide and we will see if I can get good photos, gather fruit, and not get bit.

Lisa Wilson said...

Very pretty!! Glad you found one you could reach!

Unknown said...

The flower is absolutely gorgeous and the small photo is amazing! An upside down arm!

Buck said...

Your desert in bloom photos are wonderful! Thanks for going that extra mile :-)

The Frame and I said...

Wow! Congrats on your great photo =) I almost stopped to take a photo of one yesterday, but I figured not only would I have to stop on the highway, but I would have to park my truck on a slight hill, and then climb up on top of the cab to get the photo.

Ahem. I passed by the chance. You may call me chicken *winks* you have earned the right!

Thanks for posting the great photo!

Kathleen

Jilly said...

Fabulous to see this. As you know I saw the plant in Monaco but no flowers.Just beautiful.