Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blooming Desert

Monday was Memorial Day in the United States so many people including me had the day off. On Saturday, I drove up north to stay with friends at their mountain cabin. While driving across the desert, I kept seeing trees with pink/purple flowers on them and I couldn’t recall seeing so many of these trees before. I have no idea what they are, but they are as plentiful as the palo verde trees that I featured here.

I became so distracted by these trees that I pulled over and get a better look. The picture above is a close up of the flowers on the tree. The small picture shows the whole tree.



If any of my desert dwelling readers know what kind of tree this is, please let me know.

Tomorrow I’ll show you what else I spotted when I pulled over on to a side road.

8 comments:

Antjas said...

How delicate. I imagine they must have a lovely scent and were probably abuzz with bees.

Irina said...

Oh, it looks so tender and delicate! Makes one wonder how these trees survive in harshness of the desert.

Janet said...

The desert is full of surprises!

Kate said...

A true photographer, Sharon. You responded to its beauty, snapped a photo which is lovely, and are now researching! Great! Hope someone supplies an answer.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

very lovely. I do not know what this tree is called but am now very curious.

TOG said...

I looks like a western form of the red bud tree.

Anonymous said...

It is a nice looking color and a small enough tree to fit on most lots. Nice shots.

The Frame and I said...

Very lovely - not sure what it is either, but I also hope that someone does post what it is.
Kathleen